The changing relationship between tax and financial reporting in Spain
AbstractThe degree of connection between tax and financial reporting is regarded as a key factor in the study of international accounting differences. The position for Spain is briefly outlined in previous research but without examination of any specific accounting issues except, in outline only, depreciation and the tax-free revaluation of assets from 1977 to 1983. The absence of a detailed study of the major tax/accounting linkages for Spain is of particular importance because the relationship is regarded as having changed dramatically in the early 1990s, from a position of tax dominance. In order to measure the links between tax and financial reporting, we adopt the methodology of Lamb et al. (1998) by assessing major accounting topics using a five-case classification shown as Table 1. We refute the proposition that suggests that the link between tax/accounting has been reduced substantially.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 782.
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Tax; accounting; Spain;
Other versions of this item:
- Ester Oliveras & Xavier Puig, 2005. "The Changing Relationship between Tax and Financial Reporting in Spain," Accounting in Europe, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 195-207, January.
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2004-12-12 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-12-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Lainez & Jose Jarne & Susana Callao, 1999. "The Spanish accounting system and international accounting harmonization," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 93-113.
- Cuzdriorean Dan Dacian & Albu Catalin Nicolae & Albu Nadia, 2012. "The Relationship Between Accounting And Taxation - The Romanian Accounting Environment," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 894-900, July.
- Cuzdriorean - Vladu Dan Dacian & Albu Catalin Nicolae & Albu Nadia & Fekete Szilveszter, 2011. "A Longitudinal Analysis Regarding The Evolution Of Profit Tax Regulations In Romania - An Empirical View," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 594-601, July.
- Vera Palea, 2012. "Are IFRS Value-Relevant for Separate Financial Statements? Evidence from the Italian Stock Market," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201211, University of Turin.
- Dan Dacian Cuzdriorean & Dumitru Matis, 2012. "The Relationship Between Accounting And Taxation Insight The European Union: The Influence Of The International Accounting Regulation," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(14), pages 2.
- Giovanna Gavana & Gabriele Guggiola & Anna Marenzi, 2010. "Evolving Connections Between Tax and Financial Reporting in Italy," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1001, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Gabriele Guggiola, 2010. "IFRS Adoption in the E.U., accounting harmonization and market efficiency: a review," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1002, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Cuzdriorean Dan Dacian, 2010. "The Relationship Between Accounting And Taxation: A Brief International Literature Review," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 496-502, July.
- Ioan Pop & Szilveszter Fekete & Dan Dacian Cuzdriorean, 2013. "Relationship Between Accounting And Taxation In Romania: A Behavioral Analysis," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(15), pages 7.
- Costel ISTRATE, 2011. "Evolutions in the Accounting – Taxation (Dis)Connection in Romania, After 1990," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 8, pages 43-61, December.
- Costel Istrate, 2011. "Évolutions récentes de la relation entre la comptabilité et la fiscalité en Roumanie," Post-Print hal-00650468, HAL.
- Palea Vera, 2013. "Capital Market Effects of the IFRS Adoption for Separate Financial Statements: Evidence from the Italian Stock Market," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201309, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.