Adverse selection and security design
AbstractThis paper studies the problem of optimal security design by a privately informed entrepreneur. In the context of a simple parametric model, it is shown that the entrepreneur does not find it profitable to float an asset that affords her an informational advantage. The reason is that, with rational, uninformed outside investors, the entrepreneur faces adverse selection in the security market, which prevents her from exploiting her position as an insider. This is true whether or not she has market power in trading the asset. Copyright 1996 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 64.
Date of creation: Jul 1993
Date of revision: Feb 1994
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gali, J., 1992.
"Local Externalities, Convex Adjustment Costs and Sunspot Equilibria,"
92-07, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gali Jordi, 1994. "Local Externalities, Convex Adjustment Costs, and Sunspot Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 242-252, October.
- Jordi Galí, 1993. "Local externalities, convex adjustment costs and sunspot equilibria," Economics Working Papers 43, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Diego Rodríguez, 1993. "Decentralization and the management of competition," Economics Working Papers 47, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jiang Wang, 2012.
"Liquidity and Asset Returns under Asymmetric Information and Imperfect Competition,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp708, Financial Markets Group.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jiang Wang, 2012. "Liquidity and Asset Returns Under Asymmetric Information and Imperfect Competition," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(5), pages 1339-1365.
- José M. Marín & Rohit Rahi, 1997.
Economics Working Papers
223, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo, 2005.
"The value of information with heterogeneous agents and partially revealing prices,"
05-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Juan Hatchondo, 2004. "The value of information with heterogeneous agents and partially revealing prices," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 175, Econometric Society.
- Frankel, David M. & Jin, Yu, 2011. "Securitization and Lending Competition," Staff General Research Papers 34868, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bhagwan Chowdhry & Mark Grinblatt & David Levine, 2002.
"Information Aggregation, Security Design, and Currency Swaps,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 609-633, June.
- Mark Grinblatt & Bhagwan Chowdhry & David Levine, 2002. "Information Aggregation, Security Design, and Currency Swaps," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm38, Yale School of Management.
- Bhagwan Chowdhry & Mark Grinblatt & David Levine, 2002. "Information Aggregation, Security Design and Currency Swaps," NBER Working Papers 8746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Medrano, Luis Angel & Vives, Xavier, 2002.
"Regulating Insider Trading when Investment Matters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3292, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luis Angel Medrano & Xavier Vives, 2004. "Regulating Insider Trading When Investment Matters," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 199-277.
- Yves Balasko & Enrique Kawamura, 2013. "Is risk good for saving? Message from the general equilibrium model," Textos para discussÃ£o 615, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Fulghieri, Paolo & Lukin, Dmitry, 2001. "Information production, dilution costs, and optimal security design," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Diego García & Branko Urosevic, 2004. "Noise and aggregation of information in large markets," Economics Working Papers 785, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2008. "Are More Risk-Averse Agents More Optimistic? Insights from a Simple Rational Expectations Equilibrium Model," Post-Print halshs-00176630, HAL.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2005. "The Action Value of Information and the Natural Transparency LimitÂ¤," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6qb079x5, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Liu, Luke, 2011. "Securitization and moral hazard: Does security price matter?," MPRA Paper 35004, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bhagwan Chowdhry & Mark Grinblatt & David K Levine, 2001. "Information Aggregation, Currency Swaps, and the Design of Derivative Securities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2106, David K. Levine.
- García, Diego & Urošević, Branko, 2013. "Noise and aggregation of information in large markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 526-549.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.