Determinants of MNE subsidiaries decision to set uo own R&D laboratories: Theory and Evidence
AbstractWe explore the determinants of MNE subsidiaries decisions to set-up own R&D laboratories drawing on evidence from UK regions. In this context, we also test for the interaction between firm’s internal and external environments. We also integrate extant IB and strategic management literatures and incorporate recent debates in New Economic Geography (NEG) in specifying the ‘external environment’. We find support for the role of firm’s ‘productive opportunity’ and predictions of the NEG on the basis of an analysis of primary data. We discuss implications for managerial practice and government regional policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 007.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
MNE subsidiaries; R&D laboratory; internal and external environment; productive opportunity;
Other versions of this item:
- Kottaridi, Constantina & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "Determinants of MNE Subsidiaries Decisions to Set Up Own R&D Laboratories - Theory and Evidence," Papers DYNREG38, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-12-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2007-12-08 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1997. "Internal R & D expenditures and external technology sourcing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 303-315, October.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taggart, James & Hood, Neil, 1999. "Determinants of autonomy in multinational corporation subsidiaries," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 226-236, April.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 81-98, March.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 255-255, May.
- Zanfei, Antonello, 2000. "Transnational Firms and the Changing Organisation of Innovative Activities," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 515-42, September.
- A. J. Dixon & H. R. Seddi, 1996. "An Analysis of R & D Activities in North East England Manufacturing Firms: The Results of a Sample Survey," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 287-294.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Neil Hood, 2000. "Characteristics of Foreign Subsidiaries in Industry Clusters," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 141-154, March.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Ram Mudambi & Pietro Navarra, 2004. "Is knowledge power? Knowledge flows, subsidiary power and rent-seeking within MNCs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 385-406, September.
- Davis, Lee N. & Meyer, Klaus E., 2004. "Subsidiary research and development, and the local environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 359-382, June.
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-85, March.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Fragmentation and multinational production," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 935-945, April.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- G R G Benito & B Gr�gaard & R Narula, 2003. "Environmental influences on MNE subsidiary roles: economic integration and the Nordic countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(5), pages 443-456, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kleanthis Gatziolis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.