Vietnam as a Role Model for Development
AbstractVietnam.s development performance since the early 1990s has been one of the strongest in the world, following the introduction of its doi moi (.renovation.) economic reform programme in 1986. The core of Vietnam.s economic strategy has been rapid integration into the world economy, with a diversified portfolio of exports and the attraction of direct foreign investment. This open approach has been combined with successful domestic agricultural growth and a strong, continued role for state-owned enterprises while encouraging growth of the private sector. Following an .East Asian. model, Vietnam has opened its domestic market only slowly while encouraging export growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper RP2009/30.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Vietnam; globalization; trade; poverty; economic reform; development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-08-02 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2009-08-02 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2009-08-02 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patricia Justino & Julie Litchfield, 2003. "Welfare in Vietnam During the 1990s: Poverty, Inequality and Poverty Dynamics," PRUS Working Papers 08, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005.
"Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 161-187, 02.
- Nguyen, Binh Giang, 2010. "The challenges of upgrading and diversifying Vietnam's industrial structure," MPRA Paper 40504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.