Earnings Differential Between Male-Female In Indonesia: Evidence From Sakernas Data
AbstractThis Research aims to analyze the earnings inequality in Indonesia and to know whether the earnings inequality can be explained by individual characteristic factors such as education and experience; location both urban-rural and province where individual reside and work; and based on socio-demography-economic characteristic. Furthermore, this research tries to know how big those factors contribute to the existing inequality, before and after crisis. Using data from SAKERNAS 1996, 1999, 2002, and 2004, the valid observation is about 145660 individual. Result of analysis clearly indicate that there are significant gender inequalities in earnings in Indonesia, based on education and experience; urban-rural location and province where individual reside and work and based on socio-demography-economic characteristic. The profile of earnings inequality by gender seems to be an “inverted U” fashion, with the male-female earnings gap narrowing as educational attainment went up, and reached a plateau at the “post-secondary level” and then tapered off. The analysis also suggests that the industrial affiliation of female workers matter.The result of estimating Mincerian earnings equation shows that such factor as human capital (years of schooling and experience); socio-demography-economic characteristic (being household’s head, gender, marriage status, work sector); and location factors (urban-rural and province which individual reside and work), significantly affects individual earning in Indonesia. Meanwhile, the result of decomposing this earnings inequality indicate that factor causing earnings inequality between “male” and “female” is about 41.6 percent caused by endowment differences. On the other hand, most of the gap about 58.4 percent attributed to unobserved and unexplained factors, rather than attributed to differences in observable endowments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University in its series Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) with number 200608.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision: Aug 2006
Earnings inequality; Decomposition analysis; SAKERNAS; Indonesia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-17 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2007-03-17 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2007-03-17 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Manning,Chris, 1998. "Indonesian Labour in Transition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521594127, December.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1992.
"Does School Quality Matter? Returns to Education and the Characteristics of Public Schools in the United States,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-40, February.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1990. "Does School Quality Matter? Returns to Education and the Characteristics of Public Schools in the United States," NBER Working Papers 3358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1990. "Does School Quality Matter? Returns to Education and the Characteristics of Public Schools in the United States," Working Papers 645, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Kang, Byung-Goo & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2008. "Changes in Korean Wage Inequality, 1980−2005," IZA Discussion Papers 3780, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.