Effects on competitiveness and innovation activity from the integration of strategic aspects with social and environmental management
AbstractThis paper analyses the nature and details of the impact which the integration of social and environmental considerations with business strategy has on different dimensions of competitiveness and innovation activity on the firm level. Its objective is to answer the question as to whether a positive link exists between integration and the effects of environmental and social performance on competitiveness and innovation activity. After presenting a theoretical framework based on extant work, the paper introduces the research methods and variables. Subsequently results are presented for four different dimensions of competitiveness, namely market-related, image-related, efficiency-related and risk-related advantage as well as for innovatory activity in terms of product and process innovation. These raise the possibility that the process of integration is more important for bringing about a positive link than a resulting integration type. Based on the results, implications are discussed and we shall draw the conclusions from the findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2007-08.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
stakeholder; environmental management; integration; strategy; quality; social performance; environmental performance; competitiveness; innovation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-02-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENV-2007-02-24 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-INO-2007-02-24 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansson, Åse & Nilsson, Fredrik & Rapp, Birger, 2000. "Environmentally driven mode of business development: a management control perspective," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 305-333, September.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Karen Palmer & Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1995. "Tightening Environmental Standards: The Benefit-Cost or the No-Cost Paradigm?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 119-132, Fall.
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 1997. "Investors' assessment of implicit environmental liabilities: An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 215-241.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2012.
"Environmental Innovations, Local Networks and Internationalization,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(8), pages 697-734, November.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011. "Environmental innovations, local networks and internationalization," Openloc Working Papers 1108, Public policies and local development.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011. "Environmental Innovations, Local Networks and Internationalization," Working Papers 2011.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011. "Environmental innovations, local networks and internationalization," Working Papers 201101, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.