Estimating Financial Risk Measures for Futures Positions:A Non-Parametric Approach
AbstractThis paper presents non-parametric estimates of spectral risk measures applied to long and short positions in 5 prominent equity futures contracts. It also compares these to estimates of two popular alternative measures, the Value-at-Risk (VaR) and Expected Shortfall (ES). The spectral risk measures are conditioned on the coefficient of absolute risk aversion, and the latter two are conditioned on the confidence level. Our findings indicate that all risk measures increase dramatically and their estimators deteriorate in precision when their respective conditioning parameter increases. Results also suggest that estimates of spectral risk measures and their precision levels are of comparable orders of magnitude as those of more conventional risk measures. Running head: financial risk measures for futures positions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Geary Institute, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 200613.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 24 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- john cotter & kevin dowd, 2011. "Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach," Papers 1103.5666, arXiv.org.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007. "Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach," MPRA Paper 3503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-RMG-2011-07-02 (Risk Management)
- NEP-UPT-2011-07-02 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- John Cotter, 2011.
"Minimum Capital Requirement Calculations for UK Futures,"
- Cotter, John, 2004. "Minimum Capital Requirement Calculations for UK Futures," MPRA Paper 3527, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotter, John, 2004. "Minimum capital requirement calculations for UK futures," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1719, University College Dublin.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Minimum Capital Requirement Calculations for UK Futures," Working Papers 200418, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Cotter, JOhn & Dowd, Kevin, 2006.
"Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements,"
3505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "Extreme spectral risk measures: An application to futures clearinghouse margin requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3469-3485, December.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements," Papers 1103.5653, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements," Working Papers 200516, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Hsieh, David A., 1993. "Implications of Nonlinear Dynamics for Financial Risk Management," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 41-64, March.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A.D. & Dalle Molle, J.W. & Persand, G., 2005. "A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 339-352, March.
- Matthew Pritsker, 1997. "Evaluating Value at Risk Methodologies: Accuracy versus Computational Time," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 201-242, October.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Upper, Christian & Werner, Thomas, 2002.
"Time Variation in the Tail Behaviour of Bund Futures Returns,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,25, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Upper, Christian & Werner, Thomas, 2002. "Time variation in the tail behaviour of bunds futures returns," Working Paper Series 0199, European Central Bank.
- Broussard, John Paul, 2001. "Extreme-value and margin setting with and without price limits," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 365-385.
- Song Xi Chen, 2005. "Nonparametric Inference of Value-at-Risk for Dependent Financial Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 227-255.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.