Nonparametric Inference of Value-at-Risk for Dependent Financial Returns
AbstractThe article considers nonparametric estimation of value-at-risk (VaR) and associated standard error estimation for dependent financial returns. Theoretical properties of the kernel VaR estimator are investigated in the context of dependence. The presence of dependence affects the variance of the VaR estimates and has to be taken into consideration in order to obtain adequate assessment of their variation. An estimation procedure of the standard errors is proposed based on kernel estimation of the spectral density of a derived series. The performance of the VaR estimators and the proposed standard error estimation procedure are evaluated by theoretical investigation, simulation of commonly used models for financial returns, and empirical studies on real financial return series. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007.
"Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures,"
3504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kevin Dowd & John Cotter, 2011. "Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures," Papers 1103.5665, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures," Working Papers 200743, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Maria Rosa Nieto & Esther Ruiz, 2008. "Measuring financial risk : comparison of alternative procedures to estimate VaR and ES," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws087326, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007.
"Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach,"
3503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Estimating Financial Risk Measures for Futures Positions:A Non-Parametric Approach," Working Papers 200613, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- john cotter & kevin dowd, 2011. "Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach," Papers 1103.5666, arXiv.org.
- Yang Yan & Dajing Shang & Oliver Linton, 2012. "Efficient estimation of conditional risk measures in a semiparametric GARCH model," CeMMAP working papers CWP25/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Abdoul G. Sam, 2010. "Nonparametric estimation of market risk: an application to agricultural commodity futures," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(2), pages 285-297, August.
- Sasa Zikovic & Randall Filer, 2012.
"Ranking of VaR and ES Models: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3980, CESifo Group Munich.
- Saša ŽIKOVIÆ & Randall K. FILER, 2013. "Ranking of VaR and ES Models: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(4), pages 327-359, August.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Jianqing Fan, 2004. "A selective overview of nonparametric methods in financial econometrics," Papers math/0411034, arXiv.org.
- María Rosa Nieto & Esther Ruiz, 2010. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for VaR and ES in the context of GARCH models," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws102814, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Alexander, Carol & Sheedy, Elizabeth, 2008. "Developing a stress testing framework based on market risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2220-2236, October.
- Chun, So Yeon & Shapiro, Alexander & Uryasev, Stan, 2011. "Conditional Value-at-Risk and Average Value-at-Risk: Estimation and Asymptotics," MPRA Paper 30132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sasa Zikovic & Randall Filer, 2009. "Hybrid Historical Simulation VaR and ES: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2820, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cai, Zongwu & Wang, Xian, 2008. "Nonparametric estimation of conditional VaR and expected shortfall," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 120-130, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.