AbstractWe study how competing matchmakers use prices to sort participants into search markets, where they form random pairwise matches, and how equilibrium outcomes compare with monopoly in terms of prices, search market structure and sorting efficiency. The role of prices to facilitate sorting is compromised by the need to survive price competition. We show that the competitive outcome can be less efficient in sorting than the monopoly outcome in terms of total match value. In particular, price competition results in a high quality market that is insufficiently exclusive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series Microeconomics.ca working papers with number damiano-05-01-25-10-08-07.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 25 Jan 2005
Date of revision: 18 Oct 2005
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/
Overtaking; complementarity; market structure; market coverage; market differentiation;
Other versions of this item:
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li & Wing Suen, 2005.
"Unravelling of Dynamic Sorting,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1057-1076.
- Inderst, Roman, 2005. "Competitive search markets with heterogeneous workers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1525-1542, August.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao, 2005.
"Price Discrimination and Efficient Matching,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-03-21-12-21-58, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Mar 2005.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Ellison, Glenn, 2003.
"Knife-Edge or Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?,"
3160493, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife-Edge or Plateau: When do Market Models Tip?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000098, David K. Levine.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife Edge of Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?," NBER Working Papers 9528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Bartolome, Charles A M, 1990. "Equilibrium and Inefficiency in a Community Model with Peer Group Effects," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 110-33, February.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Mertens, Jean-Francois, 1986.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1003-37, September.
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998. "On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Levine's Working Paper Archive 445, David K. Levine.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, . "On the strategic stability of equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Working Papers 95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004.
"Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting,"
2004 Meeting Papers
174, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 72, Econometric Society.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Microeconomics.ca working papers damiano-04-08-11-03-02-02, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 11 Aug 2004.
- Karni, Edi & Levin, Dan, 1994. "Social Attributes and Strategic Equilibrium: A Restaurant Pricing Game," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 822-40, August.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.