Marriage, Cohabitation and Womenâ€™s Response to Changes in the Male Wage Structure
AbstractUsing micro data and grouped data that cover the period 1996-2006, we assess the extent to which cohabiting women adjust their labour supply to a lesser extent, if any, than married women in response to changes in male wages. Both micro data regressions and grouping estimators unambiguously indicate that cohabiting women respond less to variation in male wages than married women. However, the magnitude of the difference is not sizeable. Combined with the fact that married menâ€™s and cohabiting menâ€™s own-wage elasticities do not differ much, this explains why the impact of changes in male wages on family earnings ends up being very similar for married couples and cohabiting couples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series CLSSRN working papers with number clsrn_admin-2009-45.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 30 Aug 2009
Date of revision: 30 Aug 2009
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/
marriage; cohabitation; womenâ€™s labour supply;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melvin Stephens, 2002.
"Worker Displacement and the Added Worker Effect,"
Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(3), pages 504-537, July.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2004.
"Women, War, and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Midcentury,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(3), pages 497-551, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2002. "Women, War and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Mid-Century," NBER Working Papers 9013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul J Devereux, 2006.
"Improved Errors-in-Variables Estimators for Grouped Data,"
Working Papers, School Of Economics, University College Dublin
200602, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Devereux, Paul J., 2007. "Improved Errors-in-Variables Estimators for Grouped Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 278-287, July.
- Devereux, Paul J., 2007. "Improved Errors-in-Variables Estimators for Grouped Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6167, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2007.
"Small-sample bias in synthetic cohort models of labor supply,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 839-848.
- Paul J Devereux, 2006. "Small Sample Bias in Synthetic Cohort Models of Labor Supply," Working Papers, School Of Economics, University College Dublin 200606, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Matthijs Kalmijn & Anneke Loeve & Dorien Manting, 2007. "Income dynamics in couples and the dissolution of marriage and cohabitation," Demography, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 159-179, February.
- Joshua Angrist, 1988.
"Grouped Data Estimation and Testing in Simple Labor Supply Models,"
614, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Angrist, Joshua D., 1991. "Grouped-data estimation and testing in simple labor-supply models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 243-266, February.
- Valerie Oppenheimer, 2003. "Cohabiting and marriage during young men’s career-development process," Demography, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 127-149, February.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2004. "Changes in Relative Wages and Family Labor Supply," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(3).
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vivian Tran).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.