Hedonic Regressions and the Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structure Components
AbstractThe paper uses hedonic regression techniques in order to decompose the price of a house into land and structure components using readily available real estate sales data for a Dutch city. In order to get sensible results, it was useful to use a nonlinear regression model using data that covered multiple time periods. It also proved to be necessary to impose some restrictions on the price of structures. The resulting builderâ€™s hedonic regression model was compared with the results for traditional logarithmic hedonic regression models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series Economics working papers with number erwin_diewert-2011-8.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2011
Date of revision: 05 Apr 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/
House price indexes; land and structure components; time dummy hedonic regressions; Fisher ideal indexes.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-07-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-URE-2011-07-27 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wong, SK & Chau, KW & Karato, K & Shimizu, Chihiro, 2013. "Separating the Age Effect from a Repeat Sales Index: Land and Structure Decomposition," HIT-REFINED Working Paper Series 5, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Alicia Rambaldi & Prasada Rao, 2011. "Hedonic Predicted House Price Indices Using Time-Varying Hedonic Models with Spatial Autocorrelation," Discussion Papers Series 432, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.