Technical Efficiency and Value Chain of Eastern European Union Companies: An Empirical Application using Semi-Parametric Frontier Methods
AbstractThis study examines technical efficiency and its determinants in companies from East Europe who recently joined the European Union (EU) using survey data at the sector level. In order to get acquainted with the conditioning factors of the obtained technical efficiency, we resort to the classic concept of value chain, as described by M. E. Porter (1985). In terms of the factors that integrate the cited concept, we specify different models regarding the strategic behaviour of the industrial sector firms, with the purpose of learning the impact on the technical efficiency. A Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) approach is applied to estimate technical efficiency level for individual sectors. In particular, the empirical analysis focuses on country comparisons of company performance and the determinants of technical efficiency among the sectors. One of the most important results that arise from our analysis is the existence of highly heterogeneous efficiency determinants among productive sectors. In this context, while policy priorities may differ across countries and sectors, the identified micro-policies represent practical approaches to common policy challenges in companies from UE member countries from East Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social in its series Working Papers with number 04/10.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Plaza de la Victoria, 2 C.P. 28802, Alcalá de Henares
Phone: (00 34) 91 885 52 25
Fax: (00 34) 91 885 52 11
Web page: http://www.iaes.es
More information through EDIRC
Technical Efficiency; Value Chain; Micro-Policies; Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA); Bootstrapping;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunetti, Aymo, 1997. " Political Variables in Cross-Country Growth Analysis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 163-90, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Lola Esteban Álvarez & J. Luis Gallizo Larraz & J. Mª Hernández García, 2002. "Eficiencia técnica y convergencia en la industria manufacturera de la Unión Europea," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 20, pages 381-401, Agosto.
- repec:fth:inadeb:315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001. "Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence," Working Papers 98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Crespi, Gustavo, 2003. " Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Small Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 233-44, May.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin, 1996. "Securing Stability and Growth in a Shock Prone Region: The Policy Challenge for Latin America," Research Department Publications 4020, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Suarez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.