Trade network and international R&D spillovers
AbstractFollowing Coe and Helpman (International R&D Spillovers, EER, 39, 859-887, 1995), the literature on the trade-related channels of international knowledge flows has flourished. Departing from Coe and Helpman's tenets on the proportionality of trade and productivity spillovers and thus relaxing the implicit assumption that the knowledge transferred internationally is physically embodied in the exchanged products, we test whether relatively strong bilateral trade relationships are significantly associated with important international R&D spillovers. Notably, we focus on refined measures of bilateral trade that account for country size, time-invariant pair-specific factors and time-varying country-specific factors. By distinguishing closer and more distant trade partners without weighting their R&D stocks for the bilateral trade flows, we show that trade is indeed an international transmission channel of knowledge even when distance and other pair specific time-invariant factors are taken into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Public policies and local development in its series Openloc Working Papers with number 1103.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
International R&D spillovers; Total Factor Productivity; International trade network;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F01 - International Economics - - General - - - Global Outlook
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-06-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2011-06-04 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2011-06-04 (International Trade)
- NEP-NET-2011-06-04 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2011-06-04 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"The Log of Gravity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 641-658, November.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Santos Silva, Joao & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lumenga-Neso, Olivier & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Schiff, Maurice, 2001.
"On 'Indirect' Trade-Related R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea Fracasso & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2013. "An empirical note on international R&D spillovers," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 179-191, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Rentocchini) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Francesco Rentocchini to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.