Goodwin in Siena – Economist, Social Philosopher and Artist
AbstractThis article describes the years of Goodwin’s ‘third life’ at the University of Siena, stressing in particular his main contributions to economic theory, the evolution in his political and philosophical ideas and his love of art. First, after a brief description of his arrival in Siena and of the background he found there, we explore some of his contributions of the period and we argue that his achievements in the explanation of irregular growth cycles are remarkable and still open to further analysis and generalisation. Second, we remark that, as testified by an unpublished essay, in these years of dramatic changes such as the Fall of the Berlin Wall, his social philosophical beliefs underwent a significant evolution. Finally, we conclude with a tribute to Goodwin, the abstract painter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit in its series ASSRU Discussion Papers with number 1220.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Economic dynamics; MKS system; Long waves; Growth cycle; Chaos;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-11-03 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2012-11-03 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2012-11-03 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sordi, Serena & Vercelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Discretely proceeding from cycle to chaos on Goodwin's path," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 415-436, December.
- Velupillai, K. Vela, 1998. "The vintage economist," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-31, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email@example.com).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.