Aid and development: Issues and reflections
AbstractThe paper has three main sections. The first is a review of two particular propositions which appear in Dambisa Moyoâ€™s 2009 book Dead Aid which were not subjected to rigorous analysis in the reviews which appeared following its publication. The finding is that neither proposition survives serious scrutiny â€“ that aid is responsible for most of sub-Saharan Africaâ€™s economic woes and that the international bond market represents a viable alternative to foreign aid for the finance of development-oriented investment. The second questions some of the characteristics and uses of the World Bankâ€™s Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA), particularly focussing on the use of an essentially ordinal measure in cardinal applications. The third subjects the UK Department for International Developmentâ€™s Needs-Effectiveness Index to critical review, concluding that further consideration of its attributes is necessary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1309.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Sir William Duncan Building, 130 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0GE
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
developing countries; foreign aid; sub-Saharan Africa; book review;
Other versions of this item:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- Y3 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Book Reviews
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2008/2009," African Development Report, African Development Bank, number 25 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 8.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Geof Wood & Meera Tiwari & Ravi Kanbur & Andy Sumner, 2012. "Poor Countries Or Poor People? Development Assistance And The New Geography Of Global Poverty," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(6), pages 686-695, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.