Restructuring in France's innovation system: from the mission-oriented model to a systemic approach of innovation
AbstractThe paper discusses the transitional phase of the French innovation system focusing on the activities that influence the development and diffusion of innovations. It shows that the current system combined persistent elements of the traditional mission-oriented model with new systemic institutional structures, thus lengthening the transition towards a new model of innovation. Indeed the introduction of a bulk of reforms in a very short time, the lack of a clear long run agenda, the institutional inconsistencies have blurred the research and innovation policy trajectory and may affect the performances of France's innovation system in the coming years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy in its series LEM Papers Series with number 2014/05.
Date of creation: 02 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
French innovation policies and system; activities; restructuring;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2014-02-15 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2014-02-15 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SOG-2014-02-15 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mustar, Philippe & Laredo, Philippe, 2002. "Innovation and research policy in France (1980-2000) or the disappearance of the Colbertist state," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Bruno Amable & Bob Hancke, 2001. "Innovation And Industrial Renewal In France In Comparative Perspective," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 113-133.
- Charles Edquist, 2011.
"Design of innovation policy through diagnostic analysis: identification of systemic problems (or failures),"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(6), pages 1725-1753, December.
- Edquist, Charles, 2008. "Design of Innovation Policy through Diagnostic Analysis: Identification of Systemic Problems (or Failures)," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2008/6, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Edquist, Charles & Chaminade, Cristina, 2009. "Industrial policy from a systems-of-innovation perspective," EIB Papers 5/2006, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Paul Cahu & Lilas Demmou & Emmanuel Massé, 2010. "L'impact macroéconomique de la réforme 2008 du crédit d'impôt recherche," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 313-339.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.