Financial Structure and Corporate Growth: Evidence from Italian Panel Data
AbstractWe study the relationships between firm financial structure and growth for a large sample of Italian firms (1998-2003). We expand upon existing analyses testing whether liquidity constraints affect firm performance by considering among growth determinants also firm debt structure. Panel regression analyses show that more liquid firms tend to grow more. However, firms do not use their capital to expand, but rather to increase debt. We also find that firm growth is highly fragile as it is positively correlated with non-financial liabilities and it is not sustained by a long-term debt maturity. Finally, quantile regressions suggest that fast-growing firms are characterized by higher growth/cash-flow sensitivities and heavily rely on external debt, but seem to be less bank-backed than the rest of the sample. Overall, our findings suggest that the link between firms’ investment and expansion decisions is far more complicated than postulated by standard tests of investment/cash-flow sensitivities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy in its series LEM Papers Series with number 2008/17.
Date of creation: 11 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Firm growth; Financial structure; Cash flow; Financial constraints; Gibrat law; Quantile regressions;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-09-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CFN-2008-09-20 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EFF-2008-09-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-FDG-2008-09-20 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006.
"Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 139-156, October.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2005. "Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis," GEMF Working Papers 2005-07, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005.
"Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007. "Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," NBER Working Papers 11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Gould, 1993. "Quantile regression with bootstrapped standard errors," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(9).
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2000.
"Business fixed investment: evidence of a financial accelerator in Europe,"
Working Paper Series
0037, European Central Bank.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2002. " Business Fixed Investment: Evidence of a Financial Accelerator in Europe," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(3), pages 217-35, July.
- Brennan, Michael J & Maksimovic, Vojislav & Zechner, Josef, 1988. " Vendor Financing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1127-41, December.
- Marinescu, Ioana & Klemm, Alexander & Bond, Stephen & Aghion, Philippe, 2004.
"Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?,"
3200323, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Stephen Bond & Alexander Klemm & Ioana Marinescu, 2004. "Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 277-288, 04/05.
- Aghion, P. & Bond, S. & Klemm, A. & Marinescu, I., 2004. "Technology and financial structure: are innovative firms different?," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Radislav Semenov, 2006. "Financial systems, financing constraints and investment: empirical analysis of OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(17), pages 1963-1974.
- Whited, Toni M, 1992.
" Debt, Liquidity Constraints, and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1425-60, September.
- Toni M. Whited, 1990. "Debt, liquidity constraints, and corporate investment: evidence from panel data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities are not Valid Measures of Financing Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
7659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Are Not Valid Measures Of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 707-712, May.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008.
"The impact of financial constraints on firm survival and growth,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 135-149, April.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth," Sciences Po publications 2007-37, Sciences Po.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constaints on Firm Survival and Growth," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-37, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Barclay, Michael J. & Marx, Leslie M. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 2003. "The joint determination of leverage and maturity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 149-167, March.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2008.
"Banks and innovation: Microeconometric evidence on Italian firms,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 197-217, November.
- Luigi Benfratello & Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2005. "Banks and Innovation: Microeconometric Evidence on Italian Firms," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 631, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Jun 2007.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Banks and Innovation: Microeconometric Evidence on Italian Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 2032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Alessandra Luzzi, 2006.
"Do liquidity constraints matter in explaining firm size and growth? Some evidence from the Italian manufacturing industry,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Alessandra Luzzi, 2004. "Do Liquidity Constraints Matter in Explaining Firm Size and Growth? Some Evidence from the Italian Manufacturing Industry," LEM Papers Series 2004/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2001. "Firms as financial intermediaries - evidence from trade credit data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2696, The World Bank.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Is The Growth Of Small Firms Constrained By Internal Finance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 298-309, May.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 1997. "The maturity structure of debt : determinants and effects on firms'performance - evidence from the United Kingdom and Italy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1699, The World Bank.
- Emery, Gary W., 1984. "A Pure Financial Explanation for Trade Credit," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 271-285, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.