Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA
AbstractThis paper examines the efficiency of individual golfers in the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) according to their nationality when grouped into Asian, US and other golfers. In particular, the comparison of golf ability with the efficiency in scoring and earning as a function of nationality will provide valuable information for predicting whether the recent surge of Asian golfers in the LPGA is permanent or temporary. We develop a dual regression model of the score and prize earning equations that considers the prize earnings as the ultimate output, scores as the intermediate outputs and golfing skills as the inputs. Therefore, it enables efficiencies to be compared in the production processes of scores and prize earnings. A stochastic frontier model is applied to the panel data set of the LPGA that comprised 119 individual female golfers over the period of 2004-2010.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University in its series Working Papers with number 1103.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision: 2011
Other versions of this item:
- Ilhyeok Park & Young Hoon Lee, 2012. "Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 13(4), pages 378-392, August.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Young Lee, 2011. "Is the small-ball strategy effective in winning games? A stochastic frontier production approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 51-59, February.
- Fried, Harold O. & Tauer, Loren W., 2009.
"The Impact of Age on the Ability to Perform under Pressure: Golfers on the PGA Tour,"
51103, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Harold Fried & Loren Tauer, 2011. "The impact of age on the ability to perform under pressure: golfers on the PGA tour," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 75-84, February.
- David Kalist, 2008. "Does Motherhood Affect Productivity, Relative Performance, and Earnings?," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 219-235, September.
- Zak, Thomas A & Huang, Cliff J & Siegfried, John J, 1979. "Production Efficiency: The Case of Professional Basketball," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 379-92, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Peter Dawson & Stephen Dobson & Bill Gerrard, 2000. "Stochastic Frontiers and the Temporal Structure of Managerial Efficiency in English Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 1(4), pages 341-362, November.
- Stephen Shmanske, 2007. "Consistency or Heroics: Skewness, Performance, and Earnings on the PGA TOUR," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 35(4), pages 463-471, December.
- Lawrence Hadley & Marc Poitras & John Ruggiero & Scott Knowles, 2000. "Performance evaluation of National Football League teams," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 63-70.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernd Frick & Young Lee, 2011. "Temporal variations in technical efficiency: evidence from German soccer," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 15-24, February.
- Fiona Carmichael & Dennis Thomas & Robert Ward, 2001. "Production and Efficiency in Association Football," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(3), pages 228-243, August.
- Stephen Shmanske, 2000. "Gender, Skill, and Earnings in Professional Golf," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 1(4), pages 385-400, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (In Choi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.