Refined (Successive) H-Indices: An Application To Economics In The Republic Of Ireland
AbstractWe rank economics departments in the Republic of Ireland according to the number of publications, number of citations, and (successive) h-index of research-active staff. We increase the discriminatory power of the h-index by introducing two ancillary indices. The first (h+) measures the excess over the actual h-index, while the second index (h?) measures the distance to the next h-index. The latter index is readily used to make the h-index a rational number.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University in its series Working Papers with number FNU-130.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision: Mar 2007
Publication status: Published, Scientometrics, 75 (2), 395-405
Ranking; economists; h-index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z00 - Other Special Topics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Economics Profession > Ranking in Economics
- > Economics Profession > Ranking in Economics > Ranking Economists
- Karol Paludkiewicz & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2010. "Qualitätsanalyse von Zeitschriften in den Wirtschaftswissenschaften – über Zitationsdatenbanken und Impaktfaktoren im Online-Zeitalter," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63(21), pages 18-28, November.
- Christian Seiler & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2011. "Ranking Economists and Economic Institutions Using RePEc: Some Remarks," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 96, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Christian Zimmermann, 2007.
"Academic Rankings with RePEc,"
2007-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2009.
- Anania, Giovanni & Caruso, Annarosa, 2012. "Two New Simple Bibliometric Indexes to Better Evaluate Research in Economics," Congress Papers 124116, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Abbasi, Alireza & Altmann, Jörn & Hossain, Liaquat, 2011.
"Identifying the effects of co-authorship networks on the performance of scholars: A correlation and regression analysis of performance measures and social network analysis measures,"
Journal of Informetrics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 594-607.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann & Liaquat Hossain, 2011. "Identifying the Effects of Co-Authorship Networks on the Performance of Scholars: A Correlation and Regression Analysis of Performance Measures and Social Network Analysis Measures," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201176, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jun 2011.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann, 2010. "On the Correlation between Research Performance and Social Network Analysis Measures Applied to Research Collaboration Networks," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201066, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Oct 2010.
- Gary W. Yohe & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Precaution And A Dismal Theorem: Implications For Climate Policy And Climate Research," Working Papers FNU-145, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Aug 2007.
- Christine Schleupner & P. Michael Link, 2008. "Eiderstedt im Spannungsfeld zwischen Naturschutz- und Agrarpolitik - Entwicklung eines methodischen Ansatzes für ein nachhaltiges Ressourcenmanagement," Working Papers FNU-168, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Aug 2008.
- P. Michael Link & C. Ivie Ramos & Uwe A. Schneider & Erwin Schmid & J. Balkovic & R. Skalsky, 2008. "The interdependencies between food and biofuel production in European agriculture - an application of EUFASOM," Working Papers FNU-165, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Jul 2008.
- Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Of The H-Index And Its Alternatives: An Application To The 100 Most Prolific Economists," Working Papers FNU-146, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Sep 2007.
- Marco Frittelli & Ilaria Peri, 2012. "From Risk Measures to Research Measures," Papers 1205.1012, arXiv.org.
- Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "A Rational, Successive G-Index Applied To Economics Departments In Ireland," Working Papers FNU-147, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Sep 2007.
- Glenn Ellison, 2010.
"How does the Market Use Citation Data? The Hirsch Index in Economics,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3188, CESifo Group Munich.
- Glenn Ellison, 2010. "How Does the Market Use Citation Data? The Hirsch Index in Economics," NBER Working Papers 16419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alireza Abbasi & Jorn Altmann & Junseok Hwang, 2009. "Evaluating Scholars Based on their Academic Collaboration Activities: The RC-Index and CC-Index for Quantifying Collaboration Activities of Researchers and Scientific Communities," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200915, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Christian Seiler & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2011.
"Ranking Economists on the Basis of Many Indicators: An Alternative Approach Using RePEc Data,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3691, CESifo Group Munich.
- Seiler, Christian & Wohlrabe, Klaus, 2012. "Ranking economists on the basis of many indicators: An alternative approach using RePEc data," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 389-402.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Uwe Schneider).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.