Wealth and Portfolio Composition
AbstractThis paper provides basic statistics on household total wealth, financial assets, and financial assets composition of the elderly as key indicators of the well-being and quality of life of the elderly. Median total wealth varies much less than median financial wealth across countries. As for financial asset ownership, the chapter focuses on bonds, stocks, mutual funds and life-insurance policies and documents the polarization between Nordic and Mediterranean countries. The elderly tend to invest more in stocks and to have a more diversified portfolio in Northern and Central Europe than in the South. The chapter also offers insights about the relation between financial risk exposure and age and the time that the elderly spend managing their financial assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy in its series CSEF Working Papers with number 132.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe - First Results from the Survey of Health, Assets and Retirement in Europe, edited by A. Börsch-Supan, A. Brugiavini, H. Jürges, J. Mackenbach, J. Siegrist, and G. Weber. Mannheim: Mannheim Research Institute for the Economics of Aging, April 2005
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-03-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2005-03-20 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juster, F. Thomas & Smith, James P. & Stafford, Frank, 1999.
"The measurement and structure of household wealth,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 253-275, June.
- James Banks & Tanner, S, 2000. "Household portfolios in the UK," IFS Working Papers W00/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1985.
"Life Cycle, Individual Thrift and the Wealth of Nations,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1985-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1986. "Life Cycle, Individual Thrift, and the Wealth of Nations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 297-313, June.
- F. Thomas Juster & James P. Smith, 2004. "Improving the Quality of Economic Data: Lessons from the HRS and AHEAD," Labor and Demography 0402010, EconWPA.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli, 2000.
"Household Portfolios in Italy,"
CSEF Working Papers
43, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Dimitrios Christelis & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2006.
"Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice,"
CSEF Working Papers
157, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Christelis, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006. "Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5735, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christelis, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2008. "Cognitive abilities and portfolio choice," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/35, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Dimitris Christelis & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2008. "Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice," Working Papers 2008_19, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Skopek, Nora & Buchholz, Sandra & Blossfeld, Hans-Peter, 2011. "Wealth inequality in Europe and the delusive egalitarianism of Scandinavian countries," MPRA Paper 35307, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele Vignoli & Maria Letizia Tanturri & Francesco Acciai, 2014. "Home Bitter Home? Gender, Living Arrangements, and the Exclusion from Home-Ownership among Older Europeans," Econometrics Working Papers Archive 2014_05, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Klevmarken, N. Anders, 2006. "The Distribution of Wealth in Sweden: Trends and Driving factors," Working Paper Series 2006:4, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Sieds, 2009. "Complete Volume LXIII nn.3-4 2009," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(3-4), pages 1-224.
- Christine Lai, 2008. "How Retired Households and Households Approaching Retirement Handle Their Equity Investments in the United States," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 601-622, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.