Labor market time and home production: A new test for collective models of intra- household allocation
AbstractThe allocation of time is a crucial decision that influences many aspects of household welfare, above all consumption, income level and home production. This paper presents a new methodology to estimate woman domestic productivity using a French time use survey, at least whenever the recursivity property for constrained utility maximization with home production applies. It provides empirical evidence not rejecting a collective model of household decision making over working time, as the sum of time spent in domestic production and market labor time. Our results show also that female domestic productivity is a relevant variable explaining intra-household distribution of resources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy in its series CSEF Working Papers with number 131.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Collective models; home production; time- use;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2002.
"Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation, and Household Labor Supply,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 37-72, February.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-16, CIRANO.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," Cahiers de recherche 0103, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 1997. "A Test of the Unitary and Collective Models of Household Labour Supply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 933-55, July.
- Pencavel, John, 1987. "Labor supply of men: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-102 Elsevier.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2006.
"Collective and Unitary Models: A Clarification,"
Review of Economics of the Household,
Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-14, 03.
- Valerie Lechene & Martin Browning, 2004. "Collective and unitary models: a clarification," Economics Series Working Papers 191, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2004. "Collective and Unitary Models: a Clarification," CAM Working Papers 2004-15, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Wikström, Magnus, 1999.
"Estimating Intrahousehold Allocation in a Collective Model With Household Production,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
495, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Aronsson & Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Magnus Wikström, 2001. "Estimating intrahousehold allocation in a collective model with household production," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 569-584.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1996.
"Collective Labor Supply and Household Production,"
301, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Benoît Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011. "Household production in a collective model: some new results," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00687274 is not listed on IDEAS
- Catherine Sofer & Claire Thibout, 2011. "Stereotypes upon abilities in domestic production and household behaviour," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11075, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00111159 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2009.
"How Do Spouses Share Their Full Income? Identification Of The Sharing Rule Using Self-Reported Income,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(2), pages 360-391, 06.
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2006. "How do spouses share their full income ? Identification of the sharing rule using self-reported income," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla06012, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2007. "How do Spouses Share their Full Income? : Identification of the Sharing Rule Using Self-reported Income," Working Papers 2007-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00654232 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bargain, O. & Beblo, M. & Beninger, D. & Blundell, R. & Carrasco, R. & Chiuri, M-C. & Laisney, F. & Lechene, V. & Moreau, N. & Myck, M. & Ruiz-castillo, J. & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2006.
"Does the representation of household behavior matter for welfare analysis of tax-benefit policies? An introduction,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194159, Tilburg University.
- Olivier Bargain & Miriam Beblo & Denis Beninger & Richard Blundell & Raquel Carrasco & Maria-Concetta Chiuri & François Laisney & Valérie Lechene & Nicolas Moreau & Michal Myck & Javier Ruiz-Castill, 2006. "Does the Representation of Household Behavior Matter for Welfare Analysis of Tax-benefit Policies? An Introduction," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 99-111, 06.
- Olivier Bargain, 2008.
"Normative evaluation of tax policies: from households to individuals,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 339-371, April.
- Bargain, Olivier, 2004. "Normative Evaluation of Tax Policies: From Households to Individuals," IZA Discussion Papers 1441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00193481 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2008. "Une analyse du partage intra familial du revenu à partir de données subjectives," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 186(5), pages 101-116.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00368422 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.