Public Expenditures on Education and Health in the Kyrgyz Republic before and during the Global Crisis
AbstractThis paper analyses the public finance performance and the dynamics of government expenditures on education and health in the Kyrgyz Republic in 2007- 2010, when the country was hit by the global economic crisis and then by an internal political crisis in 2010. Despite these crisis conditions, public health expenditures have increased substantially. In education, recurrent expenditures have been protected, while capital investments have been cut dramatically. Both sectors suffer from chronic under-financing, which results in an insufficient quality of services. The country’s fiscal situation in the medium-term is going to be difficult, so efficiency-oriented reforms need to be implemented in health care and especially in education in order to sustain the development of these critical services in Kyrgyzstan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Reports with number 0097.
Length: 66 Pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Fiscal policy; Kyrgyzstan; Education financing; Health financing; Global economic crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-07-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HEA-2011-07-02 (Health Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-07-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-07-02 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth G. Ruffing, 2010. "The Role of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Environmental Policy�Making," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 199-220, Summer.
- Wang, Duo-hong & Li, Yu & Zhao, Hong-xia & Zhang, Jiang-quan, 2010. "Operating Analysis of the Closed Supply Chain of Green Agricultural Products Based on Logistics Center," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 2(03), March.
- Alexander Chubrik & Roman Mogilevsky & Irina Sinitsina & Marek Dabrowski, 2011. "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Public Expenditures on Education and Health in the Economies of the Former Soviet Union," CASE Network Reports 0100, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ma³gorzata S³awiñska).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.