A scatter search procedure for maximizing the net present value of a project under renewable resource constraints
AbstractIn this paper, we present a meta-heuristic algorithm for the well-known resource-constrained project scheduling problem with discounted cash flows. This optimization procedure maximizes the net present value of project subject to the precedence and renewable resource constraints. The problem is known to be NP-hard. We investigate the use of a enhanced bi-directional generation scheme and a recursive forward/backward improvement method and embed them in a meta-heuristic scatter search framework. We generate a large dataset of project instances under a controlled design and report detailed computational results. The solutions and project instances can be downloaded from a website in order to facilitate comparison with future research attempts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 06/417.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Resource-constrained project scheduling; Net present value; Scatter search;
Other versions of this item:
- Vanhoucke, M., 2006. "A scatter search procedure for maximizing the net present value of a project under renewable resource constraints," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-40, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- NEP-AGR-2006-11-12 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2006-11-12 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2006-11-12 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Demeulemeester, Erik & Herroelen, Willy, 2001. "On maximizing the net present value of a project under renewable resource constraints," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101310, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Yang, Kum Khiong & Tay, Lee Choo & Sum, Chee Chuong, 1995. "A comparison of stochastic scheduling rules for maximizing project net present value," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 327-339, September.
- Kolisch, R. & Padman, R., 2001. "An integrated survey of deterministic project scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 249-272, June.
- Kolisch, Rainer & Padman, R., 2001. "An integrated survey of deterministic project scheduling," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 8114, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Brucker, Peter & Drexl, Andreas & Mohring, Rolf & Neumann, Klaus & Pesch, Erwin, 1999. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: Notation, classification, models, and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 3-41, January.
- Marti, Rafael & Laguna, Manuel & Glover, Fred, 2006. "Principles of scatter search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 359-372, March.
- Padman, Rema & Smith-Daniels, Dwight E., 1993. "Early-tardy cost trade-offs in resource constrained projects with cash flows: An optimization-guided heuristic approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 295-311, January.
- Mario Vanhoucke & Erik Demeulemeester & Willy Herroelen, 2001. "On Maximizing the Net Present Value of a Project Under Renewable Resource Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1113-1121, August.
- Robert A. Russell, 1986. "A Comparison of Heuristics for Scheduling Projects with Cash Flows and Resource Restrictions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1291-1300, October.
- Herroelen, Willy & De Reyck, B & Demeulemeester, Erik, 1998. "Resource-constrained project scheduling : A survey of recent developments," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101588, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- M. Vanhoucke, 2007. "A genetic algorithm to investigate the trade-off between project lead time and net present value," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/456, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.