Gradual Network Expansion and Universal Service Obligations
AbstractUniversal service obligations are usually not competitively neutral as they modify the way firms compete in the market. In this paper, we consider a continuum of local markets in a dynamic setting with a stochastically growing demand. The incumbent must serve all markets (ubiquity) possibly at a uniform price and an entrant decides on its market coverage before firms compete in prices. Connecting a market involves a sunk cost. We show that the imposition of a uniform price constraint modifies the timing of entry: for low connection cost markets, entry occurs earlier while for high connection cost markets, entry occurs later.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège in its series CREPP Working Papers with number 1105.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard du Rectorat, 7, Batiment 31, boite 39, 4000 Liege
Phone: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 08
Fax: + 32 (0) 4 366 31 06
Web page: http://www2.ulg.ac.be/crepp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Axel Gautier & Keizo Mizuno, 2011. "Gradual Network Expansion And Universal Service Obligations," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(2), pages 97-113, 06.
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-04-30 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2011-04-30 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Villemeur Etienne Billette & Cremer Helmuth & Boldron Francois & Roy Bernard, 2008. "Worksharing: A Calibrated Model," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-22, June.
- D’ALCANTARA, Gonzales & GAUTIER, Axel, . "National postal strategies after a full postal market opening," CORE Discussion Papers RP, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) -2006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:rne:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:2:p:272-293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Christophe Poudou & Michel Roland, 2013. "Efficiency of Uniform Pricing in Universal Service Obligation," Working Papers, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier 13-13, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Nov 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mathieu Lefebvre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.