Resource allocation in health care processes: A case study
AbstractThis paper utilizes queuing models to analyze health care processes. We extend previous queuing models to allow for i) heterogeneous resources, ii) resource allocation to various tasks, and iii) teams (complementary resources). We model a process of one clinical unit. We use the model to analyze how resource allocation affects both process performance and utilization of resources. This approach emphasizes how allocation of resources to tasks affects process performance. We illustrate how the model can be used to analyze how variations in resources affect process performance and for example how ICT affects process performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series ETLA Working Papers with number 10.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 23 May 2013
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naumov, Valeriy & Martikainen, Olli, 2011. "Method for Throughput Maximization of Multiclass Networks with Flexible Servers," Discussion Papers 1261, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Naumov, Valeriy & Martikainen, Olli, 2011. "Optimal Resource Allocation in Multiclass Networks," Discussion Papers 1262, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.