Expectations, Reality and Performance in the Finnish Biotechnology Business
AbstractIn this paper our aim is to assess the evolution of the Finnish biotechnology sector during the 2000s. Particular focus is given to the growth expectations and realized outcomes of Finnish biotechnology companies, to the evolution of public investments, and to potential determinants of company performance in the sector. The empirical results suggest that there is considerable disparity between the companies growth expectations and actual performance. Roughly one third of the expected sales have materialized. That being said, it should be noted that the sector has witnessed a significant increase in terms of sales and employment. At the same time, the scale of public funding has dramatically fluctuated during the 2000s in part due to public policy changes and in part due to the financial crisis towards the end of the decade. We also aim to identify where the growth in the sector has come from by discussing company growth and profitability. The findings provide important implications for policy makers regarding the potential evolution paths of the Finnish biotechnology business.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1286.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tahvanainen, Antti-Jussi, 2003. "The Capital Structure of Finnish Biotechnology SMEs - An empirical analysisi," Discussion Papers 864, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Tuomo Nikulainen & Raine Hermans & Martti Kulvik, 2008.
"Patent Citations Indicating Present Value Of The Biotechnology Business,"
International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 5(03), pages 279-301.
- Nikulainen, Tuomo & Hermans, Raine & Kulvik, Martti, 2006. "Patent citations indicating present value of the biotechnology business," Discussion Papers 1048, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Murray, Fiona, 2004. "The role of academic inventors in entrepreneurial firms: sharing the laboratory life," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 643-659, May.
- Hermans, Raine & Tahvanainen, Antti-Jussi, 2002. "Ownership and Financial Structure of Biotechnology SMEs: Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 835, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Nikulainen, Tuomo, 2013. "Generating commercial ideas in Finnish universities. The role of interdisciplinarity and networking," ETLA Working Papers 9, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kalm, Matias, 2012. "The Impact of Networking on Firm Performance - Evidence from Small and Medium-Sized Firms in Emerging Technology Areas," Discussion Papers 1278, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.