Solving General Incomplete Market Models with Substantial Heterogeneity
AbstractWe propose a simple but general solution method for models with incomplete markets and finitely but arbitrarily many heterogeneous agents. Our method can handle many state and choice variables for each agent and thus an extremely high-dimensional state space. The solution technique is based on perturbation methods that build an approximation around a point at which the solution is known. At this point, agents are either identical or their policy functions are known. The novel idea is to exploit the symmetry of the problem to avoid the curse of dimensionality. Our method underlies an approximation theory that specifies the speed and radius of convergence as well as the class of models to which our method applies. As a result, we study the interaction between uninsurable idiosyncratic labor income risk and asset price dynamics within a standard macroeconomic model. We show that not only the variability of individual wealth but also its comovement with other agentsÃƒÂ¢Ã‚Ã‚ wealth plays an important role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2012 Meeting Papers with number 1173.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Den Haan, Wouter J., 2010.
"Comparison of solutions to the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 4-27, January.
- Den Haan, Wouter, 2008. "Comparison of Solutions to the Incomplete Markets Model with Aggregate Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Judd & Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 2009.
"Numerically Stable Stochastic Simulation Approaches for Solving Dynamic Economic Models,"
NBER Working Papers
15296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Serguei Maliar & Lilia Maliar & Kenneth Judd, 2010. "Numerically Stable Stochastic Simulation Approaches for Solving Dynamic Economic Models," 2010 Meeting Papers 280, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zhigang Feng & Manuel Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Jianjun Miao, 2009.
"Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models,"
2009 Meeting Papers
541, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Numerical simulation of nonoptimal dynamic equilibrium models," Working Papers 2009-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, . "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-013, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manual Santos, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Working Papers 0912, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Kim, Sunghyun Henry & Kollmann, Robert & Kim, Jinill, 2010. "Solving the incomplete market model with aggregate uncertainty using a perturbation method," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 50-58, January.
- YiLi Chien & Hanno Lustig, 2010.
"The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1596-1650, April.
- Hanno Lustig, 2001. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," Finance 0111004, EconWPA, revised 16 Nov 2001.
- Hanno Lustig & Yi-Li Chien, 2005. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," NBER Working Papers 11132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanno Lustig, 2004. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," UCLA Economics Online Papers 299, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Bruce Preston & Mauro Roca, 2007. "Incomplete Markets, Heterogeneity and Macroeconomic Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 13260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Moll, 2009. "Creditor Rights, Inequality and Development in a Neoclassical Growth Model," 2009 Meeting Papers 1168, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Den Haan, Wouter J. & Judd, Kenneth L. & Juillard, Michel, 2010. "Computational suite of models with heterogeneous agents: Incomplete markets and aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-3, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.