Emu, Exchange Rate Volatility and Bid-Ask Spreads
AbstractThis study deals with two issues related to the determination of exchange rate bid-ask spreads in the transition to EMU. First, we discuss how a credible announcement of conversion rates affects exchange rate volatility in the run up to the introduction of the Euro. Second, we discuss the theoretical relation that exists between exchange rate uncertainty and the bid-ask spread. The theory suggests that there is a positive association between exchange rate uncertainty and transaction costs and that we should observe a gradual reduction of exchange rate volatility in the transition to EMU. This theory implies a gradual shrinking of the bid-ask spread during the transition period. These conjectures are subject to empirical testing in the case of the exchange rate of the Portuguese escudo against the Deutsche Mark.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w199805.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Trognon, A., 1985. "A General Approach to Serial Correlation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 315-340, December.
- Paul Krugman & Marcus Miller, 1992. "Exchange Rate Targets and Currency Bands," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krug92-1, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.