Saving in Latin America and Lessons from Europe: An Overview
AbstractThe case studies collected in this volume provide insights into that and other related policy questions by examining what drives saving in Latin America. The studies cover Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela and span a variety of topics ranging from assessing the impact of financial liberalization on saving to determining the role of terms of trade shocks. Many of the studies also employ new data sources, that provide a better understanding of the saving patterns of the various agents in the economy--the public sector, firms, and households. All too often past studies have relied on highly aggregated data masking important differences across these sectors. Three of studies analyze the European experience (Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) with liberalization and structural reforms and its effects on saving. The aim of these studies is to provide insights as to what Latin American countries can expect in the wake of structural reform.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6987.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision: 1999
financial liberalization; saving; consumption; structural reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Augusto de la Torre & Juan Carlos Gozzi & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2008.
"Capital Market Development: Whither Latin America?,"
in: Financial Markets Volatility and Performance in Emerging Markets, pages 121-154
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "Capital market development : whither Latin America ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4156, The World Bank.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Javier Gómez Pineda, 2009.
"The international cycle and Colombian monetary policy,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005406, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Javier Gómez Pineda, . "The international cycle and Colombian monetary policy," Borradores de Economia 557, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.