Risk and Return on Uganda's stock exchange
AbstractUsing data from 2003-2007, we calculate the systematic risk and cost of equity for firms listed on USE; Preliminary estimates show that nominal Cost of equity capital reduced over time from 63.24 percent (January 2005 to January 2006) to 18% (February 2006 to March 2007). The efficient frontier shifted below in the period considered to suggest a general lowering of expected returns on portfolios, re-affirming the notion that stock markets lead to reduction in the cost of funds; and thus a viable option to bank finance that at the moment is considered prohibitive with annual percentage rates of between 20-25.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6407.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision: Aug 2007
Cost of equity capital; Beta; CAPM; Uganda Securities Exchange (USE);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2008-01-05 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2008-01-05 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blume, Marshall E, 1970. "Portfolio Theory: A Step Toward Its Practical Application," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 152-73, April.
- Blume, Marshall E & Friend, Irwin, 1973. "A New Look at the Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 19-33, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.