On Certain Indices for Ordinal Data with Unequally Weighted Classes
AbstractIn this paper, some new indices for ordinal data are introduced. These indices have been developed so as to measure the degree of concentration on the “small” or the “large” values of a variable whose level of measurement is ordinal. Their advantage in relation to other approached is that they ascribe unequal weights to each class of values. Although, they constitute a useful tool in various fields of applications, the focus here is on their use in sample surveys and more specifically in situations where one is interested in taking into account the “distance” of the responses from the “neutral” category in a given question. The properties of these indices are examined and methods for constructing confidence intervals for their actual values are discussed. The performance of these methods is evaluated through an extensive simulation study
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6385.
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- M. Perakis & P. Maravelakis & S. Psarakis & E. Xekalaki & J. Panaretos, 2005. "On Certain Indices for Ordinal Data with Unequally Weighted Classes," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 39(5), pages 515-536, October.
- Perakis, Michael & Maravelakis, Petros & Psarakis, Stelios & Xekalaki, Evdokia & Panaretos, John, 2005. "On Certain Indices for Ordinal Data with Unequally Weighted Classes," MPRA Paper 6395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maravelakis, Petros & Perakis, Michael & Psarakis, Stelios & Panaretos, John, 2003.
"The Use of Indices in Surveys,"
6388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. Maravelakis & M. Perakis & S. Psarakis & J. Panaretos, 2003. "The Use of Indices in Surveys," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 1-19, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.