Multilateralisation of Manufacturing Sector Comparisons: Issues, Methods and Empirical Results
AbstractThis paper examines the feasibility of constructing a consistent set of multilateral comparisons of manufacturing sector output and productivity within the framework of the ICOP project. A major objective of the paper is to construct truly multilateral comparisons using the existing data base of the ICOP project. This data base consists of data constructed essentially on the basis of detailed bilateral comparisons. Multilateral unit value ratios are built up from the lowest level possible (the product level). The second objective of the paper is to examine in-depth the problem of aggregation of unit value ratios. Various aggregation methods, both well-known methods and new ones, are applied and sensitivity of the results is examined. New multilateral aggregation methods are developed which take into account differences in number of matches of the underlying binary comparisons, as well as the Laspeyres-Paasche spread which is considered to be a general indicator of reliability. Finally, the paper presents empirical results derived from the application of the above procedures to data for eight countries for the 1987 benchmark year.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research- in its series Papers with number 47.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: STATE UNIVERSITY OF GRONINGEN, FACULTY OF ECONOMICS, INSTITUTE OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH, GRONINGEN THE NETHERLANDS.
Phone: 31 50 363 3749
Fax: 31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://www.rug.nl/research/som-ri/
More information through EDIRC
STATISTICAL ANALYSIS ; ECONOMIC GROWTH ; MANUFACTURES;
Other versions of this item:
- Prasada Rao, D.S. & Timmer, Marcel, 2000. "Multilateralisation of manufacturing sector comparisons : issues, methods and empirical results," GGDC Research Memorandum 200047, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bart van Ark & Marcel Timmer, 2001. "The ICOP Manufacturing Database: International Comparisons of Productivity Levels," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 3, pages 44-51, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.