Extreme Value Index Estimators and Smoothing Alternatives: Review and Simulation Comparison
AbstractExtreme-value theory and corresponding analysis is an issue extensively applied in many different fields. The central point of this theory is the estimation of a parameter γ, known as extreme-value index. In this paper we review several extreme-value index estimators, ranging from the oldest ones to the most recent developments. Moreover, some smoothing and robustifying procedures of these estimators are presented. A simulation study is conducted in order to compare the behaviour of the estimators and their smoothed alternatives. Maybe, the most prominent result of this study is that no uniformly best estimator exists and that the behaviour of estimators depends on the value of the parameter γ itself
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6384.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Extreme value index; Semi-parametric estimation; Smoothing modification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jon Danielsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998.
"Beyond the Sample: Extreme Quantile and Probability Estimation,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp298, Financial Markets Group.
- Jón Daníelsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "Beyond the Sample: Extreme Quantile and Probability Estimation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-016/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- M. I. Bar�o & J. A. Tawn, 1999. "Extremal analysis of short series with outliers: sea-levels and athletics records," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(4), pages 469-487.
- Tsourti, Zoi & Panaretos, John, 2004.
"Extreme Value Analysis of Teletraffic Data,"
6391, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.