Japan’s Positive and Negative Aid Sanctions Policy Toward Asian Countries: Case Studies of Thailand and Indonesia
AbstractIn this paper, Japan’s positive and negative aid sanctions policy toward Asian countries since the introduction of new aid guidelines will be examined and discussed. Japan can choose to impose negative aid sanctions (the suspension or a decrease in foreign aid) on recipient countries where undesirable policy changes occur, while positive aid sanctions (an increase in foreign aid) would be applied to aid recipients that conduct desirable polices in the light of Japan’s ODA Charter. The Japanese government implemented four positive aid sanctions in Asia, i.e. in Mongolia, Cambodia, Central Asian republics of the former Soviet Union and Vietnam. However, Japan was reluctant to employ negative aid sanctions in the region despite various violations of human rights in Thailand and Indonesia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6218.
Date of creation: 11 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Foreign Aid; Japan; Asia; Thailand; Indonesia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "Japan’s foreign aid sanctions policy toward African countries," MPRA Paper 5947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "A Critical Assessment of Japan’s Foreign Aid Sanctions Policy: Case Studies of Latin American Countries," MPRA Paper 5990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikitina, Larisa & Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2008. "Japan’s Foreign Aid Sanctions Policy after the End of Cold War," MPRA Paper 6757, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikitina, Larisa & Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2008. "Ancien régime of Japan’s foreign aid policy: Main characteristics of Japan’s aid administration system before its reforms," MPRA Paper 7046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "Japan’s foreign Aid Sanctions Policy Toward China," MPRA Paper 6238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.