A Critical Assessment of Japan’s Foreign Aid Sanctions Policy: Case Studies of Latin American Countries
AbstractThe Japanese government introduced new foreign aid guidelines in 1991 and it pledged to impose aid sanctions on those aid recipient countries whose governments violated human rights or democratic principles. The introduction of the new aid guidelines is expected to produce a certain effect on Japan’s foreign aid policy. This paper examines Japan’s aid sanctions policy toward Latin American countries as a case study. Since new ODA guidelines were introduced, Japan implemented three positive reinforcements in Latin America, i.e. in Nicaragua, El Salvador and Peru, while negative reinforcements were introduced twice, i.e. in Haiti and Guatemala. The findings indicate that Japan apparently pledges to promote human rights and democracy with the aim of showing solidarity with other aid donor countries while the pursuit of economic interests seem to remain a driving force behind Japanese aid policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5990.
Date of creation: 28 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Foreign Aid; Aid Sanctions; Japan; Latin America;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "Japan’s foreign aid sanctions policy toward African countries," MPRA Paper 5947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikitina, Larisa & Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2008. "Japan’s Foreign Aid Sanctions Policy after the End of Cold War," MPRA Paper 6757, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "Japan’s Positive and Negative Aid Sanctions Policy Toward Asian Countries: Case Studies of Thailand and Indonesia," MPRA Paper 6218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikitina, Larisa & Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2008. "Ancien régime of Japan’s foreign aid policy: Main characteristics of Japan’s aid administration system before its reforms," MPRA Paper 7046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furuoka, Fumitaka, 2007. "Japan’s foreign Aid Sanctions Policy Toward China," MPRA Paper 6238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.