Produtividade Total Dos Fatores Nas Principais Lavouras De Grãos Brasileiras: Análise De Fronteira Estocástica E Índice De Malmquist
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to use the techniques of Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) to estimate the increase or decrease of inefficiencies through time, as well as the linear programming procedure Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and the Malmquist index in order to analyze the sources of changes in TFP in the main Brazilian grain crops – rice, beans, maize, soybeans and wheat – throughout the period 2001-2006. The results indicate that, although there have been positive changes in TFP for the sample analyzed, a decline in the use of technology has been evidenced for all the main Brazilian grain crops between 2005/2006 – period in which we observe a remarkable downfall in the use of inputs in Brazilian agriculture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5890.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Agriculture; Total Factor Productivity; Stochastic Frontier; Data Envelopment Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Edward Bernard Bastiaan de Rivera Rivera & Paulo Dutra Costantin, 2007. "Produtividade Total Dos Fatores Nas Principais Lavouras De Grãos Brasileiras: Análise De Fronteira Estocástica E Índice De Malmquist," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 121, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.