Technology Scouting – a case study on the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
AbstractTechnology Intelligence has become an important field of study in which a variety of different methods are discussed, all aiming at identifying opportunities and threats arising from advances in technology. In this respect, Technology Scouting is a method which can lower the time lag between the advances in technology and their detection by methods such as patent or publication analysis. Furthermore, in an environment of increasing technological complexity and the globalization of R&D, the successful identification and usage of external sources of knowledge is becoming increasingly important. In the sourcing of technology the scouts can also play an important role in identifying valuable sources and facilitate the sourcing. Based on two case studies of the Deutsche Telekom and British Telecom, as well as a literature review, the paper proposes a definition of Technology Scouting, a generic process, and identifies the motivations of the actors in the process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5699.
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
technology intelligence; technological forecasting; technology foresight; technology scouting; technology exploration; strategic foresight; technology monitoring; technology scanning;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1997. "Internal R & D expenditures and external technology sourcing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 303-315, October.
- Renninger, Wolfgang & Riesemann, Mirjam, 2010. "Strategies and possible directions to improve Technology Scouting in China," OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere 25, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH).
- Rohrbeck, Rene & Arnold, Heinrich M. & Heuer, Jörg, 2007. "Strategic Foresight in multinational enterprises – a case study on the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories," MPRA Paper 5700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rohrbeck, Rene, 2007. "Veille stratégique en entreprise multinationale - Une étude de cas auprès de la Deutsche Telekom AG," MPRA Paper 5701, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.