Conundrums in public distribution system in India: an assessment by states and social groups
AbstractGrowing number of studies accentuated enigmas in PDS system, many of them provided evidences based on National Sample Survey (NSS) and other official statistics, more particularly by major states. Many of them also highlighted theoretical and operational difficulties in existing policy strategies for only major states. Alternatively, this study emphasized key issues and provided evidences based Indian Human Development Survey (2004-05) for all the Indian states and major socio-economic groups. Additionally, this study provides reasons for not using ration card and major hurdles in PDS ration offtake. All-encompassing, this provides number of critical insights on conundrums in public distribution system in India by maximum Indian states and social groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 53450.
Date of creation: 05 Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Public Distribution System; Ration cards; PDS offtake; Food security; States; Socioeconomic groups; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reetika Khera, 2011. "India's Public Distribution System: Utilisation and Impact," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1038-1060.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.