India's Public Distribution System: Utilisation and Impact
AbstractThis article studies the effectiveness of India's Public Distribution System (PDS) as a food security intervention, using field survey data collected by the author in Rajasthan. Utilisation is low, and many households purchase wheat from the market at higher prices before exhausting PDS quotas. This 'puzzle of under-purchase' is analysed by extending the dual-pricing model to account for supply-side (for example, diversion) and demand-side (for example, transaction costs) constraints. Primary and secondary data as well as field observations suggest that under-purchase is mainly due to supply constraints. I also find that the PDS affects the composition (away from more nutritious 'coarse cereals'), rather than level, of cereal consumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raghbendra Jha & Simrit Kaur & Raghav Gaiha & Manoj K. Pandey, 2012. "NREGS and TPDS in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh: Complements or Substitutes?," ASARC Working Papers 2012-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Goli, Srinivas, 2011. "Conundrums in public distribution system in India: an assessment by states and social groups," MPRA Paper 53450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reetika Khera, 2011.
"Trends In Diversion Of Pds Grain,"
198, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha & Manoj K. Pandey & Nidhi Kaicker, 2011.
"Food Subsidy, Income Transfer and the Poor: A Comparative Analysis of the Public Distribution System in India's States,"
ASARC Working Papers
2011-16, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Gaiha, Raghav & Pandey, Manoj K. & Kaicker, Nidhi, 2013. "Food subsidy, income transfer and the poor: A comparative analysis of the public distribution system in India's states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 887-908.
- Basu, Kaushik & McGavock, Tamara & Zhang, Boyang, 2013. "When competition corrupts : a theoretical analysis of market structure and the incidence of corruption," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6596, The World Bank.
- Kaushik Basu & C Marks, 2011. "Understanding Inflation and Controlling It," Working Papers id:4481, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.