The Day of the Week Effect in the Pakistani Equity Market: An Investigation
AbstractThis paper investigates the day of the week effect in the Pakistani equity market. Using daily data on eight sector indices as well as the general market index from January 1989 to December 1993, the analysis did not find, in general, significant differences in stock returns across trading days in the market. An overtime analysis indicates the presence of this anomaly in the period before the market was opened to international investors which disappeared in the later periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5268.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Lahore Journal of Economics 1.5(2000): pp. 93-97
Day Effect; Pakistan; Seasonality; Equity Market; Efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. "Patterns in Japanese Common Stock Returns: Day of the Week and Turn of the Year Effects," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 261-272, June.
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 835-37, July.
- Javed Iqbal & Aziz Haider, 2005.
"Arbitrage Pricing Theory: Evidence From An Emerging Stock Market,"
Lahore Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 10(1), pages 123-139, Jan-Jun.
- Iqbal, Javed & Haider, Aziz, 2005. "Arbitrage pricing theory: evidence from an emerging stock market," MPRA Paper 8699, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.