The Changing World of Work and No-Work
AbstractInadequate utilisation of available manpower is a perennial problem in India, with Open Unemployment (OU) being a major evil. Two other issues that have often been sidelined are Lack of Regular employment (Underemployment or Semi-Open Unemployment SOU), and Lack of Adequate Returns from jobs (incidence of poverty among more or less regular workers or Non-Employment NE). The present paper explores both National and Regional aspects of these issues, their trends and patterns, and also their various correlates. Four NSSO Surveys (1983-84, 1987-88, 1993-94, 1999-2000) are considered. This enables us to consider movements during 1993-99 as Post-Reform trends. The results indicate increased casualisation and polarisation of workforce in the post-reforms era. These are also closely associated with socio-economic inequality and decline in living standards. Policies like growth impetus, flexible technology, infrastructural expansion and public expenditure programme will go a long way in solving these problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4865.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Employment; Labour; Poverty; Disguised Unemployment; Non-employment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Majumder, Rajarshi & Mukherjee, Dipa, 2008.
"State Intervention and Labour Market in India: Issues and Options,"
12409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mukherjee, Dipa, 2005. "State Intervention and Labour Market in India: Issues and Options," MPRA Paper 4874, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mukherjee, Dipa, 2005. "Changing Role of Women: A Study of Small Manufacturing Enterprises in India," MPRA Paper 4873, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.