Does Public Infrastructure Reduce Private Inventory?
AbstractThe discipline of operations management is rarely studied with an eye on public policies. Yet, it is glaring to even the casual observer that public infrastructure is very different in different countries. How does public infrastructure affect private sector inventory levels? I develop as a baseline a substitution hypothesis, which predicts that infrastructure reduces inventory. I also consider competing hypotheses that can explain negative correlation between infrastructure and inventory. To empirically distinguish these hypotheses, I use data on public firms from 60 countries. The econometric challenge is in identifying the exogenous component of infrastructure changes. I address that using instrumental variables consisting of physical attributes of countries - such as their elevation, whether they are land-locked, their mean distance to a coast or river. I find evidence consistent with the substitution hypothesis. This finding is robust to many tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4756.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Inventory; public infrastructure; international comparison; instrumental variables;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chikan, Attila & Whybark, D. Clay, 1990. "Cross-national comparison of production--inventory management practices," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-3), pages 149-156, May.
- Goonatilake, Lalith, 1990. "Inventory management in the manufacturing sector in developing countries," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-3), pages 19-24, May.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.