The Road to Sustainable Growth in Emerging Markets: The Role of Structural and Monetary Policies in Turkey
AbstractThe last decade witnessed an unprecedented economic growth in Emerging Market Economies (EMEs). EMEs have also been the main drivers of growth in the recovery following the global financial crisis. Nevertheless, EMEs continue to face a number of institutional and structural challenges that may pose risks to the sustainability of their recent growth performance, with potentially significant repercussions for the world economy. In this paper, we present a detailed account of Turkey’s experience in dealing with various institutional and structural challenges during the last decade and provide evidence that taking the right steps can enable EMEs materialize their full growth potential going forward. Successful institutional and structural reforms can also provide room for monetary policymakers to effectively navigate their economies through turbulent times such as the recent global financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 44730.
Date of creation: 26 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Economic Growth; Structural and Institutional Reforms; Crises; Monetary Policy; Turkey; Central and Eastern Europe;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2013-03-16 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-MAC-2013-03-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-03-16 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Ali Gunes & Osman Furkan Abbasoglu, 2007.
"Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period,"
2007/20, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Abbasoğlu, Osman Furkan & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Gunes, Ali, 2007. "Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period," MPRA Paper 5494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Transformation of the Turkish Financial Sector in the Aftermath of the 2001 Crisis," MPRA Paper 17803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Turhan, Ibrahim M., 2008. "Why did it work this time: a comparative analysis of transformation of Turkish economy after 2002," MPRA Paper 31158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Al, Huseyin, 2006.
"Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey,"
5481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H. Al & Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 2006/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Åsa Johansson & Yvan Guillemette & Fabrice Murtin & David Turner & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Guillaume Bousquet & Francesca Spinelli, 2012. "Looking to 2060: Long-Term Global Growth Prospects: A Going for Growth Report," OECD Economic Policy Papers 3, OECD Publishing.
- Turhan, Ibrahim M. & Kilinc, Zubeyir, 2011. "Turkey's response to the global economic crisis," MPRA Paper 31214, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Mustafa Mete Karakaya & Metin Uyanik, 2011. "Panel stochastic frontier analysis of profitability and efficiency of turkish banking sector in the post crisis era," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 629-654, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.