On the Existence of Quality Measures in Random Utility Models
AbstractRandom Utitly Models (RUMs) are a particularly convenient way of modelling product differentiation. In this paper we demonstrate that they can be used to examine the possibilities of creating quality measures from data on prices and sales volumes. We formulate conditions sufficient for the existence of quality measures in two broad families of RUMs: additive random utility models and pure vertical differentiation models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42261.
Date of creation: 30 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
quality measure; product differentiation; random utility models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-11-11 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-UPT-2012-11-11 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walker, Joan & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2002. "Generalized random utility model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 303-343, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Location Models of Horizontal Differentiation: A Special Case of Vertical Differentiation Models,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 383-90, June.
- CREMER, Helmuth & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Location models of horizontal differentiation: a special case of vertical differentiation models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -931, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2011.
"Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 417-474.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2008. "Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality," NBER Working Papers 13807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.