The crisis of the EMU
AbstractThe Euro Zone (EZ)’s economies are under great stress since last decade’s financial crisis. Diverging interest rates, high debt burdens and sluggish growth in several member countries led to various rescue activities. Nevertheless, financial markets have still not calmed and the break-up of the EZ is discussed openly. Contrary to the popular belief I show that the Euro itself has been a success story so far but the EZ suffers under a debt crisis and huge economic imbalances. An overhaul of the EZ’s institutional framework, however, is necessary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40390.
Date of creation: 31 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
financial crisis; Euro crisis; current account imbalances; monetary union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2012. "Die Target-Kredite der Deutschen Bundesbank," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65, pages 03-34, 03.
- Thomas Mayer & Jochen Möbert & Christian Weistroffer, 2011. "Makroökonomische Ungleichgewichte in der EWU und das Eurosystem," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 31-38, 09.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2011. "Die europäische Zahlungsbilanzkrise - Eine Einführung," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 03-08, 09.
- Stefan Homburg, 2011.
"Anmerkungen zum Target2-Streit,"
Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 46-50, 09.
- Boysen-Hogrefe, Jens, 2011. "Für einen Schuldenschnitt und gegen den Rettungsschirm? Argumente auf dem Prüfstand," Kiel Policy Brief 29, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Bergljot Barkbu & Jesmin Rahman & Rodrigo O. ValdÃ©s, 2012. "Fostering Growth in Europe Now," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/07, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.