CDS, bond spread and sovereign debt crisis in peripherial EU
AbstractIn the last decade, many economies were marked by the severe financial crises since the Great Depression. The euro area faced considerable economic difficulties and the CDS has become the focal point of the current crisis. The euro sovereign debt crises started in Greece and later on, spread to the other peripherial European countries Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Italy and still continues. This experience address the increasing importance of „fiscal discipline” and the role of European Central Bank (ECB), if ECB with national central banks take on all responsibility in government bond markets, Euro area could be stabilized. Policy makers argue both financial and monetary policies in European Union (EU), and convergence criteria to adopting Euro. This paper aims to determine the relationship between credit default swap (CDS), bond spread and the debt ratio of the countries. In this framework, the interaction between CDS and sovereign bond spreads are examined as a measure of perceived country risk. The focus of the study is to show the role of these two variables on peripherial European countries, during the recent euro sovereign debt crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40340.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
CDS; bond spread; sovereign debt crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011.
"Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: a dynamic approach,"
IREA Working Papers
201116, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2011.
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011. "Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: a dynamic approach," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 08-11, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Marta Gómez-Puig & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2011. "Causality and contagion in peripheral EMU public debt markets: A dynamic approach," Working Papers 11-06, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Duffee, Gregory R, 1999.
"Estimating the Price of Default Risk,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 197-226.
- Salvador Barrios & Per Iversen & Magdalena Lewandowska & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Determinants of intra-euro area government bond spreads during the financial crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 388, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.