The Impact of Policy Shocks on Financial Structure: Empirical Results from Japan
AbstractThis study examines the relationship between Japan’s financial structure and the country’s fiscal/monetary policy. Vector Error Correction models are utilized to investigate the effect of policy shocks on financial structure development during a sample period of 48 years. Our findings reveal signs of an existing long-run relationship between policy variables and financial structure. Policymakers in Japan may have effectively influenced Japan’s financial structure development via fiscal and monetary actions. This result strengthens the assumption of a volatile financial structure due to policy interference. This study is the first of its kind and is intended to stimulate further research and debate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39185.
Date of creation: 09 Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Financial Structure; Fiscal Policy; Japan; Monetary Policy; VEC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-06-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FDG-2012-06-13 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2012-06-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-06-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veronika Dolar & Césaire Meh, 2002. "Financial Structure and Economic Growth: A Non-Technical Survey," Working Papers 02-24, Bank of Canada.
- O. Emre Ergungor, 2003. "Financial system structure and economic development: structure matters," Working Paper 0305, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2005.
"The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Couppey-Soubeyran, Jezabel & Soulat, Laurent, 2008. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 40-60, January.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2008. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00265547, HAL.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2005. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05080, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Nov 2005.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2012.
"Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 78-104, September.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2010. "Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," IMF Working Papers 10/233, International Monetary Fund.
- Ricardo M. Sousa & António Afonso, 2008.
"Fiscal Policy, Housing and Stock Prices,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Afonso, António & Sousa, Ricardo M., 2009. "Fiscal policy, housing and stock prices," Working Paper Series 0990, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2008. "Fiscal Policy, Housing and Stock Prices," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/58, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Christos Ioannidis & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "Monetary Policy and the Stock Market: Some International evidence," Working Papers 2006_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Lucía Cuadro-Sáez & Alicia García-Herrero, 2008.
"Finance for Growth. Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(6), pages 1075-1096.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Lucia Cuadro-Saez, 2005. "Finance for Growth. Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?," Working Papers 0503, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Lucía Cuadro-Sáez & Alicia García-Herrero, 2007. "Finance for Growth: Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 445, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Blank, Sven & Dovern, Jonas, 2009.
"What macroeconomic shocks affect the German banking system? Analysis in an integrated micro-macro model,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2009,15, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sven Blank & Jonas Dovern, 2010. "What macroeconomic shocks affect the German banking system?: Analysis in an integrated micro-macro model," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 126-148, June.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid & Arestis, Philip & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2008.
"Financial structure and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 181-200, April.
- Laopodis, Nikiforos T., 2009. "Fiscal policy and stock market efficiency: Evidence for the United States," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 633-650, May.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2000. "Financial structure and economic development - firm, industry, and country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2423, The World Bank.
- Pennings, Steven & Ramayandi, Arief & Tang, Hsiao Chink, 2011. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Financial Markets in Small Open Economies: More or Less Effective During the Global Financial Crisis?," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 72, Asian Development Bank.
- Federico Guerrero & Elliott Parker, 2010. "The Effect of Government Purchases on Economic Growth in Japan," Working Papers 10-004, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.