The Impact of Policy Shocks on Financial Structure: Empirical Results from Japan
AbstractThis study examines the relationship between Japan’s financial structure and the country’s fiscal/monetary policy. Vector Error Correction models are utilized to investigate the effect of policy shocks on financial structure development during a sample period of 48 years. Our findings reveal signs of an existing long-run relationship between policy variables and financial structure. Policymakers in Japan may have effectively influenced Japan’s financial structure development via fiscal and monetary actions. This result strengthens the assumption of a volatile financial structure due to policy interference. This study is the first of its kind and is intended to stimulate further research and debate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39185.
Date of creation: 09 Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Financial Structure; Fiscal Policy; Japan; Monetary Policy; VEC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-06-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FDG-2012-06-13 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2012-06-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-06-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Christos Ioannidis & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "Monetary Policy and the Stock Market: Some International evidence," Working Papers 2006_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Pennings, Steven & Ramayandi, Arief & Tang, Hsiao Chink, 2011. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Financial Markets in Small Open Economies: More or Less Effective During the Global Financial Crisis?," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 72, Asian Development Bank.
- Ricardo M. Sousa & António Afonso, 2008.
"Fiscal Policy, Housing and Stock Prices,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Afonso, António & Sousa, Ricardo M., 2009. "Fiscal policy, housing and stock prices," Working Paper Series 0990, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2008. "Fiscal Policy, Housing and Stock Prices," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/58, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Sven Blank & Jonas Dovern, 2010.
"What macroeconomic shocks affect the German banking system?: Analysis in an integrated micro-macro model,"
Journal of Financial Economic Policy,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 126-148, June.
- Blank, Sven & Dovern, Jonas, 2009. "What macroeconomic shocks affect the German banking system? Analysis in an integrated micro-macro model," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,15, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2008.
"The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Couppey-Soubeyran, Jezabel & Soulat, Laurent, 2008. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 40-60, January.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2005. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05080, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Nov 2005.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Laurent Soulat, 2005. "The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00197104, HAL.
- Lucía Cuadro-Sáez & Alicia García-Herrero, 2008.
"Finance for Growth. Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(6), pages 1075-1096.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Lucia Cuadro-Saez, 2005. "Finance for Growth: Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?," Working Papers 0503, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Lucía Cuadro-Sáez & Alicia García-Herrero, 2007. "Finance for Growth: Does a Balanced Financial Structure Matter?," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 445, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2000. "Financial structure and economic development - firm, industry, and country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2423, The World Bank.
- Federico Guerrero & Elliott Parker, 2010. "The Effect of Government Purchases on Economic Growth in Japan," Working Papers 10-004, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2010. "Bank Lending in Turkey," IMF Working Papers 10/233, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Laopodis, Nikiforos T., 2009. "Fiscal policy and stock market efficiency: Evidence for the United States," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 633-650, May.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid & Arestis, Philip & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2008.
"Financial structure and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 181-200, April.
- O. Emre Ergungor, 2003. "Financial system structure and economic development: structure matters," Working Paper 0305, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Veronika Dolar & Césaire Meh, 2002. "Financial Structure and Economic Growth: A Non-Technical Survey," Working Papers 02-24, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.