Foreign direct investment and globalization
AbstractThis paper aims to examine the relationship between foreign direct investment and the globalization. The Portuguese economy has been a net recipient of FDI. Understanding the main determinants of FDI inflows is important to take the macroeconomic policy decisions. The manuscript analyses the determinants of FDI in Portugal for the period 1990- 2008. Instrumental variable estimation of a dynamic panel model within a system generalized methods moments framework allows us to control for potential correlation issues and endogeneity bias. The results show that the market size and globalization have a positive impact on FDI. Openness trade and urban population are also statistically significant. The paper confirms some relevant theoretical hypotheses on the causes of the FDI. The good results obtained with the GMM system estimator suggest that the building of dynamic theoretical model will be of interest to academic researches in FDI theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37436.
Date of creation: 18 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Foreign Direct Investment; Globalization; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bang Nam Jeon & Sung Sup Rhee, 2008. "The Determinants Of Korea'S Foreign Direct Investment From The United States, 1980-2001: An Empirical Investigation Of Firm-Level Data," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 118-131, 01.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:23:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Axel Dreher, 2006.
"Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Axel Dreher, 2005. "Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization," TWI Research Paper Series 6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Xose Rodriguez & Julio Pallas, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(19), pages 2443-2450.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Nuno Carlos Leitão, 2013. "Cultural Globalization and Economic Growth," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 16(47), pages 17-28, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.