Determinants of foreign direct investment in Spain
AbstractThis study utilizes panel data as a means of examining the determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in Spain. Data that are taken in the period 1993-2002 are used in order to estimate the determinants of FDI, at the sectoral level, by differentiating the manufacturing sectors, and at the regional level. The analysis investigates the sectoral, regional and macroeconomic variables that have successfully attracted FDI inflows from those that have not. Empirical results suggest that the differential between labour productivity and the cost of labour has been an important determinant of FDI in Spain during the period 1993-2002. Factors related to demand, the evolution of human capital, the export potential of the sectors and certain macroeconomic determinants that measure the differential between Spain and the European Union average, also play a very important role in attracting flows of FDI. Certain policy issues that are relevant to the results are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sánchez-Sellero, Pedro & Rosell-Martínez, Jorge & García-Vázquez, José Manuel, 2014. "Absorptive capacity from foreign direct investment in Spanish manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 429-439.
- Leitão, Nuno Carlos, 2012. "Foreign direct investment and globalization," MPRA Paper 37436, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2008. "Portuguese Foreign Direct Investments Inflows: An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/54, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Magdalena Radulescu & Elena Jianu, 2011. "FDIs in Spain after its EU Accession. Spanish Investments in Romania and How can be used Spanish Experience for Romania’s Development," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 11(2), pages 233-256.
- John Anyanwu, 2011. "Working Paper 136 - Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Africa, 1980-2007," Working Paper Series 327, African Development Bank.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Wich, Matthias, 2009. "A composite measure to determine a host country's attractiveness for foreign direct investment," IESE Research Papers D/833, IESE Business School.
- Hajderllari, Luljeta & Karantininis, Kostas & Lawson, Lartey Godwin, 2011. "Gravity model of outward FDI and trade in Agri-food in Denmark," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114771, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andreia Olival, 2012. "The influence of Doing Business’ institutional variables in Foreign Direct Investment," GEE Papers 0048, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2012.
- John C. Anyanwu, 2012. "Why Does Foreign Direct Investment Go Where It Goes?: New Evidence From African Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 13(2), pages 425-462, November.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & Wich, Matthias, 2012. "Emerging economies' attraction of foreign direct investment," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 210-229.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.