Contributions to oligopoly theory
AbstractIn the context of the Cournot model a demand function parameter is treated as the dual of the firm’s profit. Following the demand theory’s duality approach it’s possible to introduce the concept of the compensated reaction function (or compensated best-response function), as well as the concepts of net strategic complementarity/substitutability. The firm’s reaction function is analysed into a type-1 and a type-2 effect, which are the counterparts, respectively, of the demand theory substitution and income effects. Further, new results are obtained regarding Cournot equilibrium in the case of profit functions which are homogeneous in their arguments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37267.
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Cournot model; compensated reaction function; net strategic complementarity/substitutability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-03-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HPE-2012-03-21 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-IND-2012-03-21 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Seade, Jesus, 1980. "The stability of cournot revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 15-27, August.
- Kolstad, Charles D & Mathiesen, Lars, 1987. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Uniqueness of a Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 681-90, October.
- Novshek, William, 1985.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.